Starcraft 2 Armory

Balance & Testing

12 posts ⋅ 2,357 views

Super Moderator ⋅ Battlecruiser
6,309 posts
Blizzard has released a statement in regards to the balance testing they have been doing with current situations in the Pro-Level scene. Some of it focuses on scouting purposes. The rest is up to you to read in the official thread.

Here are some of the things Blizzard is noticing with balance:
Globally, all matchups below pro-level are pretty balanced.
-We aren’t currently seeing any problems with non-pro-level matchups, but as always, we’re watching them very carefully on a weekly basis.
-We want changes we're making to balance at this time to be small, strategic adjustments that will only affect pro-level play.

Zerg at the pro-level are struggling a bit to scout effectively in the early game.
-This is tricky to balance, because we do not want to hinder sneaky strategies or tactical early play vs. zerg.
-Our goal here is to improve zerg scouting, but not to the point where other races feel like they can’t or shouldn’t make any strategic early moves vs. zerg.

Zerg at the pro-level are slightly too susceptible to all-in rushes.
-We want to make creep spread a little bit easier to counter hellions in ZvT.
-We want to make the general zerg defense slightly stronger in the early game.

Protoss at the pro-level are doing well, but not at the very top of the pro-level.
-At this time, we’re keeping a very close eye on this, and preparing to make any necessary adjustments.

We are closely watching TvP to see if the offensive capabilities of terran in the early/mid game becomes too much, or if late game strength of protoss becomes too much.
-We aren’t making a change to affect this now, but it’s very near the top of our list of things we’re watching.

and here is what they are testing:
Overlord movement speed increased to 0.586, up from 0.4687.
Upgraded overlord movement speed unchanged.

Queen starting energy increased to 50, up from 25.

Observer build time decreased to 30, down from 40.

If you feel like testing out these changes made, please play the "Antiga Shipyard (1.4.3 Balance v2.0)" and post in the feedback thread.

Source:Battle.net
Roach
1,211 posts
I like this, its a very good idea to increase the overlord scouting speed. I dont like the queen energy increase as much (for balance, as a Zerg I love it) since now transfuses can be done right after spawning a queen. And Im all for the observer build time.
Observer
926 posts
IMO, Queen energy will make SG play less effective......in PvZ..
But Oh well, good for me
I main zerg now
DRG - Everytime people crazing about when protoss did good FF .good storm . good blink . make mothership ...Why theres nothing like those in zerg
Void Ray
3,540 posts
I am FOR all these changes under one circumstance as XxXxX said - make the Nexuses (except the first one spawned by default as 3 chronos available right after core would be a bit too much I think) start with 25 energy (hell - even 50) instead of 0.. That should pay it back well - kinda..

Perhaps it would make expoing in PvP a bit more viable as well (double chronoboost starts right away), and wouldn't care much about 1-2 more Probes than usual in the other matchups as well - Terran have Mules and Zerg can Drone pretty hard anyway

But yah - good thing is that they have the feedback page and hope the advices they get make the better of it as well..
Roach
1,211 posts
May 2nd 2012, 18:03:36 Quote by VArsovskiSC
I am FOR all these changes under one circumstance as XxXxX said - make the Nexuses (except the first one spawned by default as 3 chronos available right after core would be a bit too much I think) start with 25 energy (hell - even 50) instead of 0.. That should pay it back well - kinda..

Perhaps it would make expoing in PvP a bit more viable as well (double chronoboost starts right away), and wouldn't care much about 1-2 more Probes than usual in the other matchups as well - Terran have Mules and Zerg can Drone pretty hard anyway

But yah - good thing is that they have the feedback page and hope the advices they get make the better of it as well.. :)

I don't think that is necessary the whole reason why the queens are getting an energy boost on spawn is for creep spread to aid vision.
Observer
926 posts
The main reason is to help zerg defending hellion play in TvZ.....(according to Blizzard)
My opinion is about an unexpected consequence due to that change.
DRG - Everytime people crazing about when protoss did good FF .good storm . good blink . make mothership ...Why theres nothing like those in zerg
Coach ⋅ Carrier
4,771 posts
The queen energy buff is SO unnecessary...

The other changes are good imo (especially the obs change =P).
Hydralisk
1,839 posts
I might be with Gemini on this one, the Queen buff is 'meh' overall. If they notice a small problem with the creep spread, why not increase the creep spreading speed? Overall Protoss get their Pylon's energy field in a snap, Terrans have the entire map basically, -shrugs- I wouldn't mind seeing a small speed increase the creep spreading, the Energy thing is not what I had in mind.
"A Man Chooses....A Slave Obeys.."

get your own starcraft 2 signature at sc2sig.com
Observer
926 posts
Update on Queen

Hi all,

UPDATE:

After initial testing and feedback, we have removed the Queen starting energy increase and we have decided to modify:

Queen anti-ground weapon attack range increased from 3 to 5.

Please note: The look of the queen’s ground attack animation is affected by this adjustment, and will be changed when we expand the balance changes beyond this map and to the rest of the game.

Source: http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/231323130#13

PvT late game from Blizz point of view

After reading the responses to the recently posted balance update, we’ve seen that a lot of players wanted us to elaborate on the current state of the terran versus protoss late game. Before we begin the longer explanation, it’s worth pointing out that we didn’t originally comment on TvP because, overall, this match up remains balanced according to the games we are seeing, tournament results and ladder data.

We do agree that if both sides take few to no losses going into the late game, protoss can have an advantage. That said, we also know that terran players have a lot of offensive capability and harassment options at their fingertips in the mid-game. If terran players press that mid-game advantage, then protoss can’t necessarily get into the late game at their full potential, which can nullify any advantage they might have had. So, pressing that mid-game advantage is important (just as it would be important for protoss players to mitigate mid-game damage so they can to move into the late game in the strongest possible position). Ultimately, each game plays out differently, and depending on how the two races enter the late game, each side has a fair chance to win.

StarCraft II is designed with asymmetric design principles. We like having these differences between the races, as long as no one race or tactic offers a significant advantage. To put it another way, mirror matches already show us what StarCraft II looks like when both opposing forces have identical strengths at each stage of the game. In non-mirror matches we intentionally work to provide diverse strategies that make use of asymmetric design to produce varied, fun and interesting games, while maintaining excellent overall balance. That does mean that at different stages of the game, one race might have tools which represent an advantage against the others--though it’s important that those advantages can always be mitigated by good play.

All of this comes with an important caveat. We are already keeping a close eye on things and observing all stages of the game. If we start seeing our global ladder results shift dramatically or TvP win/loss ratios start to heavily favor one side or the other in major tournaments, we will deal with the situation accordingly.

Source: http://sea.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/231453149#1
Void Ray
3,540 posts
May 3rd 2012, 15:25:28 Quote by XxXxX
Update on Queen

Hi all,

UPDATE:

After initial testing and feedback, we have removed the Queen starting energy increase and we have decided to modify:

Queen anti-ground weapon attack range increased from 3 to 5.

Please note: The look of the queen’s ground attack animation is affected by this adjustment, and will be changed when we expand the balance changes beyond this map and to the rest of the game.

Like the idea that Blizz is putting in there, just not sure how they'd implement it.. Even they themselves explicitly here said that they'd change the GtG attack animation of the Queen..
Queen
371 posts
I'm happy they removed that queen buff, seemed ridiculous to me.
Coach ⋅ Carrier
4,771 posts
May 4th 2012, 01:58:07 Quote by Remnant
I'm happy they removed that queen buff, seemed ridiculous to me.

It really was. If that change went through any air opening by protoss would be instantly shut down, no chance at all to do a single bit of damage.

Especially with people just making more queens now for other purposes.
Ghost
504 posts
increasing the range of queen from 3 to 5 actually seems legit. not sure why they didnt do it before. glad they arent making any changes to terran.
Void Ray
3,540 posts
You might wanna see this VOD.. I laughed so hard while watching it, but must admit it's a pretty huge deal.. :).. Or maybe this one for a little bit more lulz..