Starcraft 2 Armory

Developer Update 2012: Dustin Browder

39 posts ⋅ 3,946 views

Super Moderator ⋅ Battlecruiser
6,309 posts
The Starcraft 2 team has been extremely hard at work trying to get Heart Of the Swarm out in the near future. There have been several changes on all three races for multiplayers. I have done the honors of summing up everything Dustin has wrote. Consider this a TL;DR version:

Terran
-Shredder removed
-Warhound is under heavy construction
-Experimenting with Anti-Air on the new Thor; Anti-Air spidermine is a considerable new ability
-Experimenting with TvT long range missile attacks vs Siege Tanks

Protoss
-Oracle harrass abilities have been greatly improved
-Replicant removed
-Tempest no longer AoE damage; now a long range siege unit (like the Carrier). Phoenix +2 range upgrade has already taken the roll of an Anti-Air role
-Experimenting with Nexus abilities such as recall

Zerg
-Swarm Host has remained unchanged
-Overseer is being brought back (possibly with better abilities)
-Viper no longer has detection ability. Two new abilities have been added: AoE blind ability that reduces vision by 1 and a 'consume' ability that returns energy from feeding off mineral patches.
-Nydus Worms are under construction; different Nydus Worms can be spawned in a single game, for example spreading an entire creep highway or one that even attacks buildings!

We are currently working nonstop on StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (and Blizzard DOTA) and hope to be able to get Heart of the Swarm out to the public to see sometime in the near future. While we believe we have some great things lined up for the single-player campaign, I wanted to take some time to give you an update on the recent changes and what cool things we have in store for multiplayer.

Terrans

Terrans have undergone significant changes since we talked about them at BlizzCon. We have not kept the shredder, and even the warhound is in contention. The shredder was very confusing for players as well as being something that was easily used to kill a large number of workers with little to no warning. It was rarely used for its intended role of map control. The warhound still feels a little too much like a small thor, which is just not new enough to give terran players new strategies. We are still experimenting with a wide range of units, particularly from the factory, which we think is a little light on options. We have had a great deal of trouble with the terrans largely because they are such a flexible and effective race in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty. We want to provide terran players with new strategies, however, so we will continue to work on them.

If we keep the Thor, we are currently experimenting with an anti-air spider mine that would give the terrans a way to get some factory-built anti-air into small places that a Thor has trouble reaching (like near your minerals). Whether this is meaningful, considering terrans have marines, is still in question. We are also experimenting with an extremely long-ranged terran missile launcher that can be used to break siege tank lines to make terran-vs.-terran factory-based games more dynamic.

Protoss

Protoss have gone through some changes since BlizzCon as well. The oracle is still in and functioning as a protoss raider (as intended) that can give the protoss some reach in the mid-game to disrupt enemy plans. The replicant has been cut. He was causing enemy players to not build certain unit types and was actually removing diversity from the game instead of adding diversity.

The tempest was a powerful splash anti-air capital ship at BlizzCon. With the addition of the range upgrade on phoenix in Wings of Liberty we no longer feel like a splash anti-air weapon is necessary on the protoss, but we would still like to give the protoss some additional firepower in the air. The tempest is currently a very long-ranged aerial siege weapon that can strike both air and ground targets. This gives the protoss army some real reach to force an engagement on their terms in the end-game.

We’re also experimenting with some nexus abilities. One example is a mass recall that allows the protoss to be more aggressive. They can move out onto the map with their slower sentry/zealot force and, if things don’t work out, recall the force back to their base if and when things go wrong.

Zerg

Zerg are the most stable and largely unchanged since BlizzCon. The swarm host is still serving well as a zerg siege unit that can burrow and pressure the enemy from a distance (in a very zergy way), but the viper has some slightly different new abilities. In addition to Abduct, the viper also has the ability to blind biological units in an area of effect. Blinded units have their range reduced to 1. This is obviously effective against terran infantry as well as zerg roach and hydra armies. The viper can also regain energy by feeding off of minerals. This locks up the mineral patch and prevents it from being harvested, so you want to use this ability away from your base.

We have decided to keep the overseer and make the viper a pure caster. We will be taking a look at the overseer to see what we can do to make his abilities more interesting.

We are also trying some additional abilities on the nydus network to allow you to spawn different types of nydus worms. The most interesting worms have been a worm that can spew creep across several screens to create a zerg assault highway, as well as a worm that attacks only enemy buildings, meant to be used as a ground-based zerg base raider.

We have some more work to do before we’re ready to begin beta testing Heart of the Swarm. We know that everybody wants a date for when they can play, and we know how important it is to get this out in front of the community as soon as possible. We’re working on it.

Source:Battle.net
Baneling
504 posts
WOW! Sounds like they might actually fix it. The nydus worm thing is really cool. I like all these changes. Thxs Stebo!

Check out my Current Stats -- LMK if you wanna 2v2
Observer
926 posts
it sounds much more reasonable and better.
The new Tempest sounds like a BL that can shoot air ;P

And what about the shitty corruptor? Did they give up on him?
DRG - Everytime people crazing about when protoss did good FF .good storm . good blink . make mothership ...Why theres nothing like those in zerg
Queen
385 posts
wow i love all these changes. i'm so glad they are bringing back the overseer. i'm also glad they got rid of the shredder which seemed op and the replicant that seemed pointless. looking forward to more updates.
Hellion
776 posts
I like the idea of a AA spider mine... everyone knows how much of a *@*!$ normal ones were in SC1. Now you actually have to be careful with muta packs instead of "herp I made mutas let me kill your workers".

Glad to see the replicator was removed... that thing was a terrible idea from the get go. Anyone remember getting your entire siege line converted in AOE 2 by monks? Thats kinda how that felt. And don't even get me started on Yuri's Revenge Command and Conquer...
Thor
1,225 posts
I'm really excited about the possibility of a missile launching mech unit. It kinda sucks that the Shredder got cut, it looked like such a good unit. I feel that the Viper is a bit much now, now you can recharge your energy off a expansion that hasn't been taken yet. The Viper flies, wrecks any form of range units, snipe units, and now can bypass any energy constants.
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA *Cough* hahah *Cough* ow dam Crackling
Auto-Turret
2,237 posts
Glad that gimmicky pointless replicants are gone, overseers being back seems good as well. I'm not so happy about the terran changes though. I feel like above any "new strategies and tactics" what terrans need is a way to make pure mech effective against protoss. Warhound isn't going to bring that, shredder might have brought that, but ultimately terrans need a mech unit that can actually deal with immortals.
Void Ray
3,540 posts
Holy crap these new ideas are better than any I've heard so far.. Glad they return the Overseer back, and the Terran GtA (or AtA - we don't know yet) spidermine-like ability sounds cool too..

Sad to hear the Replicant go, but the reason is indeed a fair enough one though.. It's downside was pretty clear to discourage the Protoss's opponents to build certain types of units

The good news is - sounds like Tempest is reworked in a good way though.. Hope they find a new good way for the Protoss to bolster their own forces though - now it's like 2 units scrapped that are replaced with 2 units new that aren't much more effective than the previous ones (unless the Tempest is THAT much better than the Carrier as they seem to say so)..

And lol at the comment that people didn't know how to use the Shredder - that they were used for raiding instead of map-control.. Lol..

Hope that they find the new strategies in the Protoss arsenal in the right way though..

About the Zerg -- AWESOME.. Different types of Nyduses - Awesome.. Would like to see a vid of these *soon* enough..
Observer
926 posts
Does Gear get to try this alpha stage of HoTS?
DRG - Everytime people crazing about when protoss did good FF .good storm . good blink . make mothership ...Why theres nothing like those in zerg
Hellion
776 posts
Apr 11th 2012, 08:11:50 Quote by Spartan929
Glad that gimmicky pointless replicants are gone, overseers being back seems good as well. I'm not so happy about the terran changes though. I feel like above any "new strategies and tactics" what terrans need is a way to make pure mech effective against protoss. Warhound isn't going to bring that, shredder might have brought that, but ultimately terrans need a mech unit that can actually deal with immortals.

A mech unit with a fast firing, low damage, machine gun that has a reload time after its clip is exausted
Administrator ⋅ Battlecruiser
6,877 posts
Apr 11th 2012, 12:02:17 Quote by XxXxX

Nay, I don't work for Blizzard anymore.
Civilian
54 posts
Glad the overseer is coming back. Glad the replicant was tossed. Hoping the warhound won't get cut.
With the shredder, there's a way to make them workable with the following changes:
1. Can't be loaded into medivacs, so no more shredder drops.
2. Long deployment time.
3. a warning is issued when they are deploying.
i think a balanced combination of the three would make them feasible for just board control and not harassment.
Content Editor ⋅ Siege Tank
877 posts
Apr 11th 2012, 14:40:18 Quote by gearvOsh
Apr 11th 2012, 12:02:17 Quote by XxXxX

Nay, I don't work for Blizzard anymore.

you dont? when did that happen?
Good bye CrazyGitar, I will miss you

And with this, it all turns to dust and bones and relics of a bygone era. we are now the few who survive, but do not thrive.
Administrator ⋅ Battlecruiser
6,877 posts
Recently, took another job offer.
Coach ⋅ Carrier
4,771 posts
Apr 12th 2012, 02:58:44 Quote by gearvOsh
Recently, took another job offer.

!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU? YOU HAD THE DREAM JOB.