Starcraft 2 Armory

Season 6 Map Update + 1.4.3

35 posts ⋅ 4,426 views

Observer
926 posts
Beginning with Season 4, we’ve been experimenting with prioritizing tournament-style maps on the StarCraft II ladder. Now, in Season 6, we’re giving player-created maps the spotlight!

TeamLiquid.net recently hosted the TeamLiquid map contest to offer enthusiasts from the StarCraft II community a chance to show off their map making skills. The competitors in that contest were also tempted with the tantalizing possibility of seeing their creations featured on the official StarCraft II ladder. The contest was a smashing success and we had the opportunity to see the map contest finalists in action during the TL Open. The contest also gave you, the player community, a chance to share your opinions and shape StarCraft history by voting on your favorite maps in the wake of the tournament. The votes were tallied, the final winners were chosen, and the time has come! In Season 6, you can finally meet your fellow players in furious battle on top TeamLiquid map contest maps: Cloud Kingdom and Korhal Compound. We’re truly excited to give such high quality community created maps a place on the official ladder.

Season 6, which begins the week of February 14, brings with it the following changes to the existing map pool:

Maps being removed:

(2) Xel’naga Caverns
Players have been enjoying Xel’naga Caverns since the StarCraft II beta. However, as this map is no longer preferred in a tournament setting, we’ve opted to pull it from the pool for this season.

(2) Arid Plateau
In the spirit of making every ladder map tournament viable, we added two new maps last season that would be true to that goal. We pushed some new features on Arid Plateau such as unusual natural expansions, and a lot of open areas around the map. Arid Plateau wasn’t as widely accepted as a tournament friendly map, so we’ve decided to retire it from the rotation for Season 6.

Maps being added:

(2) Cloud Kingdom

By SUPEROUMAN and the other members of the ESV Mapmaking Team

(2) Korhal Compound

By monitor and the other members of the ESV Mapmaking Team

We would also like to recognize IronmanSC and the members of ESV and The Planetary Workshop (TPW) for their amazing work on Ohana, which took second place in the TeamLiquid map contest. We’re currently working with IronmanSC to help fix a few bugs while ensuring we retain the intent of the map, and once those are done we’ll be adding it to the pool for a future ladder season.

We will continue to change the map lineup on the StarCraft II ladder over time, and we’ll also maintain our focus on tournament-viable maps to ensure the fiercest competition. Maps that don’t make the cut will be replaced by maps that meet the standards set by major tournaments all around the globe.

Thanks god !! Xel’naga Caverns is gone now!

Btw, Cloud kingdom reminds me a timmay's map. (Does anyone know which one I am talking about?)

We’re pleased to bring you the latest StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty situation report. In this edition, we'll be discussing some of the most notable changes in patch 1.4.3 and shed some light on the design philosophy behind this update.

MULEs now harvest the same amount of minerals on both high yield minerals and normal minerals.

We’ve been looking into the effects that high yield expansions have on gameplay, in particular how the added efficiency of MULEs on these mineral patches can affect matchups. This is also a common piece of feedback we’ve received from both pro players and the community.
We’ve been closely monitoring several sources of information: GSL tournaments which feature maps that do not have high yield mineral patches at all, major tournaments that still use high yield expansions, and our own ladder maps data now that our 1v1 ladder features a tournament-like map pool.
Based on these observations, we’ve made the decision to keep MULE resource generation the same regardless of mineral type, while allowing high yield mineral patches to remain on our ladder maps. This change helps keep the risk vs. reward the same for all three races when acquiring expansions that feature high yield minerals.

Snipe damage changed from 45 to 25 +25 Psionic
We felt the Snipe ability was countering zerg broodlords and ultralisks slightly too well. Especially at the pro level, we were seeing a lot of games where terran players were playing very defensive games while massing ghosts to counter most of the options zerg players had at their disposal.
While we like to see creative and innovative use of units, we felt that in this case Snipe was becoming too effective against zerg’s most expensive units. When adjusting the ability, we tried to settle on a number that would allow using Snipe to remain a viable tactic, though not as powerful as it is now. With this change, brood lords will fall in ten casts of Snipe rather than six (taking into account health regeneration), while an ultralisk will die in 19 casts, up from 11. This also significantly increases the number of ghosts and stockpiled energy needed to pull this tactic off, which we feel confident about because, previously, terran players rarely needed to consider the energy on their ghosts units.

Phoenix now has a range upgrade at the Fleet Beacon
In the past, we’ve discussed whether protoss needed a more immediate change to give them additional ways of dealing with mutalisks in PvZ, or whether it was more appropriate to make changes to that matchup in Heart of the Swarm. After investigating, testing, and reviewing both community and pro feedback, we’ve decided to include a change in this patch.
The phoenix will now have 6 attack range after purchasing an upgrade, which should allow them to more easily deal with a large number of mutalisks. In the previous patch, when protoss players attempted to move their armies out across the map, their bases became extremely vulnerable. Existing options to cope with massed mutalisks were costly and not always effective. This range upgrade should help even the odds by giving protoss players the option to reactively build phoenixes in smaller numbers, and with some micro, allow them to more efficiently defend against mutalisk swarms. Upgraded phoenixes should also offer protoss players the potential for better map control in the PvZ match up.
Still, we also wanted to make sure that producing mutalisks in PvZ remains a viable strategy, and believe that it is. While it might not be a good idea to brute force a protoss opponent with a ton of mutalisks, pairing them with units such as infestors and/or corruptors will help counter the advantage the new range upgrade provides.

APM / CPM changes
There was a lot of concern and debate regarding whether APM should be an accurate number or it should be a fun, play style distinguishing factor like it has been traditionally. After hearing a lot of feedback from both sides, we decided to bring back classic APM, and change our current APM (that doesn’t count spam clicks) to be called Commands Per Minute, or CPM.
This way, pro players who want to show off how fast their hands move can do so, while at the same time players who really just want to know how accurate and efficient their actions are can look at CPM.

As always, we will continue to follow player discussions on our forums as well as fan sites and beyond, and we look forward to your constructive feedback regarding these changes. As with all balance-related changes, we've made these decisions with great care and consideration to ensure a great playing experience for players of all skill levels.

* David Kim is a game designer for StarCraft II and he’s a big fan of community map contest maps.
DRG - Everytime people crazing about when protoss did good FF .good storm . good blink . make mothership ...Why theres nothing like those in zerg
Void Ray
3,540 posts
Saw the article some time now and thus what I think of the matter:

--> The good news is that these maps are tournament maps - i.e. - they're played a lot of times with extra-ordinary players and thus greatly balanced..

--> The bad thing however I can see is - all maps are HUGE-ass maps now.. XNC would've been good map if Gold was not gold I think..

And yes - we need more of 2 player maps like Dual-Site or Crossfire or sth like that in the pool IMO
Queen
371 posts
YES I CLOUD KINGDOM. I HATE XEL NAGA CAVERNS AND ARID PLATEAU. wait, this sounds like last time I was happy. are you trying to screw me over again blizzard?
Coach ⋅ Phoenix
2,631 posts
so many good changes this patch Im so happy!!!!!
Coach ⋅ Carrier
4,771 posts
Feb 9th 2012, 20:41:03 Quote by VArsovskiSC
Saw the article some time now and thus what I think of the matter:

--> The good news is that these maps are tournament maps - i.e. - they're played a lot of times with extra-ordinary players and thus greatly balanced..

--> The bad thing however I can see is - all maps are HUGE-ass maps now.. XNC would've been good map if Gold was not gold I think..

And yes - we need more of 2 player maps like Dual-Site or Crossfire or sth like that in the pool IMO

These maps aren't huge...they're actually a very good size. Xel'Naga was small as hell and it's impossible to take a 3rd on that map with the current meta game.

Also Dual Sight and Crossfire aren't very good any more either. Very anti protoss.

These map changes are EXACTLY what I was hoping for. Worst two maps removed and two of my favorite put in.

As for the changes:

The MULE thing is really cool and should really help mid-late game vT.

Snipe is good for zerg. Doesn't change anything in PvT since they still do 45dmg to HT's.

The Phoenix buff is AMAZING!!! Now you can actually get a fast Fleet Beacon to continue air upgrades while massing phoenix to hold off mutas. And the best part is now you can keep up with mutas while still doing damage to them as they bounce from base to base. That was the worst part. You couldn't move out of your base without the mutas coming in and instakilling the probe line. Now with the phoenix's you can keep them back while pressuring so that the muta's can't harass as much.

I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!
Baneling
504 posts
This is a great patch all around. Thxs Bliz!

BTW, you can snipe archons now right? Previously, there was nothing that did bonus damage vs archons. EMP is 75 energy right? And it deals 100 damage to archons. Whereas snipe is 25 energy and deals 45 damage to psionic. So snipe is better than emp vs archons now if they are not clustered?

Check out my Current Stats -- LMK if you wanna 2v2
Robot
48 posts
Good all around patch. And I didn't think you could snipe Archons in the first place?

But maybe I won't be so scared/blistering furious every time I see a dam mutalisk
Observer
926 posts
snipe is doing 50 damage to HT/Zealot now...just saying.....
that's like 2 snipes to kill a zealot after EMP.

Edit: My bad....I always thought zealot is psi for some reasons : /
DRG - Everytime people crazing about when protoss did good FF .good storm . good blink . make mothership ...Why theres nothing like those in zerg
Baneling
504 posts
^Well, terran always has and always will be the op race, so we can't complain too much...

Wait are zeals psionic? I thought just biological?

Check out my Current Stats -- LMK if you wanna 2v2
Banshee
5,189 posts
Feb 10th 2012, 10:02:48 Quote by XxXxX
snipe is doing 50 damage to HT/Zealot now...just saying.....
that's like 2 snipes to kill a zealot after EMP.
Only two Protoss are both bio and psionic, Dts and HTs, and as looks like it takes the same number of snipes to kill them. 'Lots on the other hand now take 25 damage per snipe instead of 45 so it take four snipes to kill a 'lot after EMP. Although speaking of energy, it now take 250 energy to snipe a BL dead, 100 energy more than per patch. Of course Ghost are still able to snipe casters, casters that could already be EMPed. This nerf might be a but much, Terran has an awkward time dealing with Bls already. Maybe a softer nerf might have been better if they felt it was needed.

On the other side, the Mule change I would say was needed. And I am interested in the Phoenix change, need to keep an eye on what comes of that(I am hopeful it will make Pro games more interesting).
Super Moderator ⋅ Battlecruiser
6,309 posts
New patch in a nutshell: Good maps + nerfing Terran
Observer
926 posts
Feb 10th 2012, 11:02:46 Quote by Omega
On the other side, the Mule change I would say was needed. And I am interested in the Phoenix change, need to keep an eye on what comes of that(I am hopeful it will make Pro games more interesting).

I feel like this will change PvT late game.....
I just have a feeling...Phoenix + Colossi would be stronger than HT + colossi.
With the 6-range phoenix, you can have more colossi, and not to rely too much on HT.
In addition, Phoenix is less gas heavy than HT, and is alway useful.
Civilian
67 posts
And so blizzard, as apposed to the players, continues to define the metagame
Coach ⋅ Carrier
4,771 posts
Feb 12th 2012, 03:05:21 Quote by EagerQuestionair
And so blizzard, as apposed to the players, continues to define the metagame
:(

Not true at all. They help shape it, smooth out the edges if you will. Everything addressed in this new patch is 100% awesome (Maybe the Ghost nerf was a tad too much) but still everything here addresses the current issues with the state of the game.
Super Moderator ⋅ Battlecruiser
6,309 posts
I'm thinking this might be one reason why the snipe got nerfed.
(Invalid video video code)